We need more Women in Technology

By pearl - December 29, 2016

So we are majority of college graduates and we constitute of 57% of the professional work force in the US, but why not in the tech Industry? Half of the users of technology products and websites are women, so why are we letting men be in control of this?  We Facebook more, twitter more, post more to Instagram, shop online..etc. I think this is not only bad for us but it is bad for the tech industry. Technology companies will benefit from a woman's perspective. There are a lot of reasons why women shy away from engineering and technology and most of them are misconceptions and perceptions. I will share a little story of the misconceptions of people very close to me.
After my sophomore year in college, my mum's friend was having problems with her computer and she came to my mum to have me repair it.."Emm I like to troubleshoot things and stuff, but mind you I am not a technician so I will do this at your own risk of me completely damaging it". And I could tell they both wondered what the heck I was majoring in. Being an engineer in my community is attributed to being a repairer or a mechanic type thing requiring man strength and heavy lifting.. Hilarious. I work from a cubicle 80% of the time. The other 20% is spent in a "Laboratory" and there is no heavy lifting I promise. Another common misconception mainly in the African community is that you have to be in the healthcare sector to get a job. This is a story for another day..

But generally here is why there are not many women. Women are simply not choosing tech careers and this is bad for them.  The Kauffman report shows that in the past decades high tech companies are 23 percent more likely than the economy to witness new business formation. And tech companies pay considerably higher than the average private sector wage.


I hope this encourages women to get into the tech industry. Or even get more tech savvy. Take a programming class. Learn how to make an App. You don't necessarily need to enroll in a degree program. Try to figure out how stuff works behind the scenes. You will be surprised how many great ideas were discovered by women just out of curiosity. Have you ever wanted more out of an App, or thought it will be cool to have something do this or that? Then I challenge you to find out about it. Jennifer Wong CEO of ALT12 started her company when she was 5 months pregnant and couldn't find a good pregnancy App so she started the award winning BabyBump . So the moral of this story is it is never too late so get up! dust off your shoes and lets take over the tech industry.





  • Share:

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. Wow ,Pearl, this is an eye opener for me. You definitely need to write more on this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pamela. I Hope to stay inspired and keep blogging. Great To hear from you its been awhile :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I also contribute to this blog since I am a not a girl ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Offcourse Seibou. Anyone can contribute and subscribe :)

      Delete
  4. I also think that one more reason for us to shy away is cuz the higher we go, the more scared we might get as things get tougher and finally end up switching majors(experience with friends). So at the end of the day, i think all that is needed is hard work and changing our view on what the job is all about....the fears are real so lets stay positive ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree :). The higher you go, the tougher it becomes for sure and we start facing other challenges.

      Delete